Thursday, July 5, 2007

Tuesday: Adventura de Mexicana

Sarah flew in on Tuesday, which was the best news I've heard since I got to D.C. because no matter how awesome this place is, I'm just not thrilled about going at it alone. I went home after work to find her unpacking and in shock of how "nice" our apartment is. Her shampoo had exploded in her suticase, and she didn't have a pillow. She was starving. I think she was close to tears, but I saved the day by promising good Mexican and meeting up with a friend. The pillow predicament was a problem I wasn't sure how to solve, but I can only do so much. We headed to find Stuart, a SigEp from UCA that was visiting family, and go to DuPont Circle to try out a restaurant I'd found online (still risky).

After walking a few miles once we got off the subway (exaggeration) with a stalker dubbed "Mario" on our heels (not an exaggeration), we decided to ask for directions. An exasperated lady told us how to get to Alero, which was the restaurant I'd found, but she also told us that a place called Lauriol Plaza was much better and closer... so we settled.

When we turned the corner to see LP we were in shock (I'm noticing a trend). It was a three level restaurant, with a sidewalk seating area, an indoor bar, and a rooftop bar. It was PACKED with people. Honestly, there must have been 500-600 people at this place and it was roaring... The smell was mouth-watering. I was in city slicker bliss. To our suprise, the wait was only an hour, so we decided to stick it out, and I'm SO glad we did. My burrito was fantastic. My margarita was better. Our waiter, a 20-something Latin fellow, assured Sarah that he had "24 pillows at [his] house, and if [she] wanted to stop by [he] would give [her] one." Ha. We did conclude that there is one Wal-Mart (yep, I said one) in the entire D.C./Virginia/Maryland area, and it closes at 10pm. Blasphemy. So I convinced Sarah to settle for a CVS to buy necessities for the night and we'd look for a Wal-Mart or something similar on Thursday (since the 4th would be mayhem in the city). She wasn't happy, but after fighting a huge crowd in CVS at 11:30pm ( really?!), she realized Thursday was our best bet.

When we got "home" (I use the term loosely) Tatyana was waiting up for us. She wanted to meet "the pretty in pink pair from Arkansas". Her nicknames for us get better every day. She seemed nice enough, but everything she said was in a condescending manner. She asked Sarah how she could participate in an event that reinforced such negative behavior. She was referring to the Miss Arkansas pageant. She also mocked the fact that I brought my bible with me to D.C. "So, what, you're bringing a piece of the bible belt with you, eh?" Wow, I've officially been persecuted. I forgot to mention she goes to Dartmouth and thinks the only legitimate use of greek life is to attend the large parties that fraternities throw and drink their free beer. However, Greek life is not for her. Wow. She is in awe of our beds. Mine has a pink quilt and sweet plaid sheets. Sarah's has red sheets and a fuzzy hot pink comforter. After surveying the scene she declared that God must be punishing her. This was a relief to me. At least she admits there is a god.

No comments: