Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Leading up to the main event...

A light breeze, cheery sun light, seventy three degrees and a bustling city of opportunity at my feet. That’s how my week in D.C. started, and it just keeps getting better. Let me start at the beginning to show you exactly how unlikely it is that the odds turned in my favor.

I spent all of last week in Clinton, Mississippi at a Centrifuge camp with 24 of the youth from FBCQC. The week was sort of bittersweet, because while I was having a blast, I knew at the end of the week I would have to quit my internship at the church and move on. Not something I was looking forward to. None-the-less, the week was rewarding and I had fun, for the most part.

We drove in on Saturday afternoon, and of course, the air on the bus went out about half way home. If you’ve never experienced misery, try riding a charter bus on a Saturday afternoon in late June with two dozen teenagers… God works in mysterious ways my friends. So, we get in and I race home (infuriated that Brad has a wedding to go to and I might not get to see him before I leave).

Keith and Jenn, Hannah and Luke are at home, so I get to hang out with them for a while in between packing and napping. We eat dinner and decide to catch the fireworks in Texarkana… so we load up and head to TK. As soon as the fireworks start (which we almost missed because of my family’s lack of communication) so does the rain, and it’s not letting up for our celebration. So we hop back in our cars and head back to Atlanta. I finish packing, hurriedly, and inevitably feel as if I have forgotten a million things. I say goodbye. It wasn’t as easy as it should have been. I have been saying goodbye to home for four years now and for the most part it has gotten easier. But for some reason, Saturday night was a different story. Maybe it was leaving the baby and Lukas. Maybe it was because I was trekking into an unknown world. Maybe it was because my daddy is having surgery while I’m gone… either way- it was rough.

I go to Brad’s to see him and leave there around 2 to head to Little Rock. At first I wasn’t sure how I would stay up and drive three hours, since I had pretty much been awake since 6am, but luckily he called and entertained me for a good hour and the rest wasn’t that bad.

No comments: