Sunday, July 22, 2007

Congressional Intern Turned Fat Cow

Thursday night was more of the same. I feel like if I moved to this city I would have to seriously practice selff-control or I would gain at least 50 pounds in the first three months. There are just wonderful places to eat everywhere...



Sarah and I went shopping after we get off work, and I use work as a loose term. Thursday we were informed that our intern duty included saving a softball field for one of the capitol hill softball teams to play on after work. So, we packed our flips flops and looked forward to leaving the office at 3.



We had lunch with the Congressman in his office with all the interns. It was nice to get some face-time, but I was really suprised that out of the six interns Sarah and I were the only two who asked questions and kept the conversation going. I got a chance to talk to Rep. Snyder about campaigns and politics, and government without getting in to specific issues, because that might have been dangerous, given my own political beliefs. He was very sincere and down-to-earth. He might be a democrat, but he's earned my vote for as long as I'm in the C. Arkansas area. I admire him because he is willing to stand up against everyone else, including his party, and vote the way he believes is right. I appreciate that. It's something that our world, our government, and our country should learn.



Around 2 Katie, my intern coordinator, called me back to her desk and told Claire, another intern, and I that Barack Obama was going to be on the East Capitol steps in ten minutes taking pictures and shaking hands. Now, I am not the biggest Obama fan, but I kept thinking that if this guy was the next president of the United States and I passed up and opportunity to meet him for sitting in the office and answering phone calls, I would probably be angry with myself. So... we took off... in a sprint... for the East Capitol Steps. The problem was that neither of us knew where the East Capitol Steps were... or even which direction to go... so we jut ran. We ended up running around the entire building, and twenty minutes later, after we were sure that Barack was gone, we found the steps. There were about 500 congressional interns on the steps all waiting to take their picture with Barack. We ended up getting in a HUGE group picture and shaking hands. It wasa enough for me. I think you could almost tell that I wasn't really that in to the man, because I hung out the back of the crowd and he almost had to find me to shake my hand. I must admit, he truly is charasmatic. He has a presidential aura.

When we got back to the office Sarah and I were instructed to change in to our play clothes and get ready to go save the field for Phynaus. He drove us to a big grassy city block right off the hill and dropped us off with a cooler and lawn chairs. We sun bathed, talked on the phone, read and relaxed. It was a very nice break from the ho-hum of professional life. I got to catch up with some friends that I haven't talked to in a while, namely Greg, and it honestly made my week. I miss Conway a lot, but I'm dreading the day I go back. That doesn't even make sense.

When Phynaus finally made it back for the game we were released of our duty and took off to shop. We went back to Forever 21 and only allowed ourselves 45 minutes this time. Then it was back to GW to clean up and go out for a late dinner. Late dinners are common these days. I can't remember the last time I ate before 9pm. We met up with some friends at LP, the mexican restaurant I can't stay away from, and a good time was had by all.

I've got to stop eating so much. I hope none of you are suprised when I get home and have gained twenty pounds. Sorry Brad.

No comments: