Friday, July 6, 2007

Post Patriotic Celebration

Day after the 4th of July (also known as the 5th): Back to the office... it's SOO much quieter on the Hill today. It was the most boring day ever. The highlight, oddly enough, was giving a tour to a super obnoxious couple and their son. Needless to say, I didn't do much, but I did get a good amount of facebooking done, and I found the nearest Wal-Mart.

After work I rushed back to GW to change and meet up with friends because we has plans to go to the Nationals v. Cubs game. We did, and we had a blast. The Nationals lost (duh.) but we cheered none-the-less and enjoyed fine ball park cuisine. I've decided that I love the ball park atmosphere. Fresh air, good food, America's game, tight pants, lots of people, fun music, oversized mascot outfits, and a certain smell that encompasses the ball park. America doesn't get much better. (Maybe I was still on a certain high from the fireworks and national orchestra the night before. This place just makes me patriotic.)

On the way home I almost got in a fight with a drunk cubs fan on the metro. He was hitting on me, right up in my face, slurring his words and inadvertantly spitting on me. He questioned everything about my life. "Where are you from? What's your major? What are you doing with your life? Why aren't you in theater if you're a public relations major (what?!) What's UCA's mascot? Where is Fort Smith, Arkansas? Why are you from Texas?" He was a major tool. The worst part was that he was making a scene. Everyone started looking at us and at one point he was inches from trying to kiss me. Luckily, my friend Ramy was there to pretend he was my boyfriend and intimidate the loser... but Ramy didn't step in until a good fifteen minutes after the embarassment had begun. The dork missed his metro stop by a good ten minutes and eventually exited the train in a walk of shame... it was good clean fun.

When we got home Tatyana wasn't there, so I called Brad (sigh).

P.S. From now on, Tatyana will be referred to as Tater, short for Tater Tot, in light of her deep affection for all things southern (sarcasm). Sarah and I call her this, mostly bc Sarah never remembers her name, and I'm seriously afraid that it might slip in front of her one day. That will be awkward.

Anyway, so when Tater gets home she immediately gushes about the Aretha Franklin concert she just attended. Sarah and I inform her of the Aretha Franklin concert that UCA hosted this past semester for the Centennial Celebration, and also of the tickets that we both had and did not use. Ooops.

Then the conversation came. I'm not sure how it started, but it ended up being a two hour debate on the institution of marriage. She adamantly believes that there is no point in getting married. She never wants to be married. She doesn't think anyone else should get married, but if they do, it certainly should not be before the age of 26. She also believe that saying you will never get divorced is ludicrous. She was seriously disappointed in me when I explained that once I'm married I will be in it for the long haul. She was enraged that I could say I would stick my marriage out even if I was unhappy. She is not a lesbian, although I had my doubts. I'm pretty sure she would have told me by now if she were. She is an atheist though. She informed us of that last night too. Which is why she would never date a guy who didn't want to have sex outside of marriage. It's SOOO weird how God puts people in your life to teach you things. I never imagined that I would learn more outside my internship this month than I would when I'm at the office.

Our God is SO big. and good. I'm so thankful that Sarah is here with me.

I miss home. I miss Conway.

I love D.C.

No comments: