Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Ole!

I still haven't made it to the soccer game. After we left RnR we went to the place down the street that John suggested and hung out there for a while. I got to talk to Reuben more and foound out that he was a fan of soccer. I had been asking everyone to go with me to the game and was thrilled to finally find someone who wanted to go, because none of my friends were up for it. Losers.

So, Reuben and I met up on Saturday at RFK Stadium and he bought pretty nice tickets (this is the good part about having friends with real jobs). We were maybe twenty rows up and I was estatic to be at my first major league soccer game... especially since they were playing FC Dallas. Go Texas!

I quickly found out that this crowd was actually in to the game. Unlike the Nationals game, everyone here wanted D.C. United to win. There was a hard core section with over sized flags, and everyone was yelling and singing these songs that I had never heard. The crowd was rowdy and zealous, and it was just a great atmosphere. Reuben was fun company, but nothing could have ruined this game.

The teams ended up tying, which shocked me because I didn't know that could happen. I guess I did know it, but I wasn't really in the 'soccer mind frame'. I think I was still in shock that all these people actually wanted D.C. to win. It was SO much fun.

Afterwards we did the whole monuments at night thing, which was also a blast. I mean, really, how many people have sat at the feet of the Lincoln monument and talked politics with a Navy officer at midnight? This city gets better day by day.

No comments: